You’ve just had your braces, and you’re excited to show everyone how it looks like. However, brushing your teeth with braces is more difficult and takes a lot of time compared to not having one. It takes a huge effort on your part to brush your teeth to avoid mouth problems such as tooth decay, Gingivitis and tooth decalcification.
You will know more dental care tips when you visit sites that discuss more dental health.
Worry no more, here is a step-by-step guide on how to brush your teeth with braces and show off that beautiful smile. Let’s get going!
- Rinse your mouth out with water to remove the food particles in your mouth.
- Clean your toothbrush first with warm water then apply the toothpaste.
- To start brushing your teeth, place your toothbrush at a 45-degree angle to the gums.
- Brush your teeth by moving the brush back and forth in short strokes. Be sure to brush between the wiring and the teeth, and also the outer and inner surface of your mouth for a thorough cleaning.
- Keep brushing for two to three minutes.
- Brush also your tongue to remove bacteria.
- Rinse your mouth with water.
- You can also gargle a mouthwash after brushing your teeth for fresher breath.
Tips in brushing your teeth with braces:
- Don’t forget to floss your teeth after brushing. It helps you remove food particles which can’t be removed just by brushing.
- Don’t use teeth whitening products- it will cause the uneven color of your teeth after your braces have been removed.
- Use fluoride toothpaste to avoid tooth decay.
- Don’t over brush your teeth- it may lead to sensitive gums which can cause bleeding.
- Take a professional clean-up with your dentist once a month
This is important because the rubbers in your braces should be replaced every month and also for your mouth to be cleaned completely.
Having braces means being responsible for cleaning your teeth– so brush it daily and show the world your great smile!